Today we are taking a detour to talk about something you probably don’t think much about… food storage.
My guess is that many of you have something that looks like this
So did I. We had a mix of plastic and glass food storage. It got out of control. A few years back I decided to fix all this, standardizing on one kind of brand, and with stackable containers. This is when I discovered the Duralex Lys food storage that are made of glass (and by a french glass company that makes our drinking cups, Duralex Picardie Tumbler, also stackable)
What is it?
The Duralex Lys are glass stackable food storage containers with blue lids. They come in a variety of sizes (all the same shape). It was rather confusing understanding how much and how many we would need. You can see the variety of shapes and sizes of the containers below.
Here is a guide of the sizes I put together:
- 5.375 ounces = 3/4 cup = 3 1/2 inch bowl = Saladier 9
- 10 ounces = 1 1/4 cup = 4 3/8 inch bowl = Saladier 11
- 20 ounces = 2 1/2 cup = 5 1/2 inch bowl = Saladier 14
- 36 ounces = 4 1/2 cup = 6 5/8 inch bowl = Saladier 17
- 68 ounces = 8 1/2 cup = 7 7/8 inch bowl = Saladier 20
If you are not sure where to start, you can get a set that includes one of very size. This is what I did first. Then I order sets of 6 of the sizes I wanted.
- Duralex Lys 36-Ounce Square Bowl with Lid, Set of 6
- Duralex Lys 20-Ounce Square Bowl with Lid, Set of 6
- Duralex Lys 10-Ounce Square Bowl with Lid, Set of 6
- Duralex Lys 5.375-Ounce Square Bowl with Lid, Set of 6
I have found that the largest size isn’t something I use often, so the 1 that came with the set was plenty. Of course your needs may differ and you can get more of the 68oz container.
Here is what our cabinet looks like now:
Why did you get it?
As I mentioned above, I was hoping we could store all our food storage containers on one shelf in our kitchen. Saving both space and simplifying the task of pulling out the right size container, and having enough of them to store the right amount of food.
How has it made your life better?
It’s really simplified our lives. Food storage is readily available, neatly stored in our island making the task of finding a container, and storing food easy. Also because the containers are glass and not plastic, we don’t have to worry about any kind of chemical nasties.
According to Duralex this is what they have to say about their product:
- Duralex is 2.5 times more resistant to breakage and chipping than normal glass, can also withstand sudden thermal shock: from -4°f to 266°f
- Shock resistant tempered glass can go straight from the freezer to the microwave
- Duralex glass is very hygienic; it is non-porous and does not absorb liquids, colors or flavor
- Duralex plastic lids are BPA free, microwave safe and dishwasher safe
- Freezer, microwave and dishwasher safe; Made in France
Are you going to keep it?
These are very durable and should last a decade or more.
If you are reading this post via Twitter or Facebook, I wanted to note that you can sign up for my weekly email newsletter. It contains all items posted here and is sent on Sundays. You can sign up by going to http://omarknows.com